SusannaG

Queen's Gambit: A Novel
Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Earworms: 1965

It's 1965, and the Beatles still rule the airwaves.  Motown has another excellent year.  Bob Dylan "goes electric."

Big hits in 1965: Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones), Mr. Tambourine Man (The Byrds), All Day and All of the Night (The Kinks), California Dreamin' (The Mamas and the Papas), California Girls (The Beach Boys), Catch Us If You Can (The Dave Clark Five), Crying in the Chapel (Elvis), Do You Believe in Magic? (The Lovin' Spoonful), Downtown (Petula Clark), Eve of Destruction (Barry McGuire), For Your Love (The Yardbirds), How Sweet it Is (To Be Loved By You) (Marvin Gaye), I Can't Help Myself (The Four Tops), I Got You (I Feel Good) (James Brown), In the Midnight Hour (Wilson Pickett), Like a Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan), My Girl (The Temptations), Nowhere to Run (Martha and the Vandellas), Subterranean Homesick Blues (Bob Dylan), The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel), Stop! In the Name of Love (The Supremes), The Tracks of My Tears (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles), Turn! Turn! Turn! (The Byrds), and Unchained Melody (The Righteous Brothers).

Meanwhile, the Who have their first hits in the UK, but don't chart well in the U.S.

And the Beatles hits include Help!, Yesterday, Ticket to Ride, Day Tripper, Eight Days a Week, I Feel Fine, and We Can Work It Out.