SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Over My Dead Body, by Rex Stout

Over My Dead Body (A Nero Wolfe Mystery) - Rex Stout

This Rex Stout, Over My Dead Body, is from early in the Nero Wolfe series (I believe #7).  It is 1939, and a girl from Yugoslavia visits Mr. Wolfe, claiming she is his adopted daughter (not seen by him since age 3), and needs his representation - her employer, who runs a fencing academy, claims she filched diamonds from the jacket pocket of one of his wealthy clients.

And then there are a couple of murders, foreign spies, and disappearing witnesses to enliven things.  Not a boring moment in the book.If you like "golden age" mysteries (as I do), and haven't read Nero Wolfe, he's worth a try.  The first is Fer-de-Lance, but most don't have to be read in order to make sense, I think.  Stout wrote them from 1934 into the mid 1970s (he lived to be nearly 90).