SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Earworms: 1967

Welcome to the first bloom of psychedelic flower power. The summer of '67 opens with the first massive rock festival - June's Monterrey Pop Festival, featuring artists from the Mamas and the Papas to Jimi Hendrix, the Who, the Jefferson Airplane, and Janis Joplin.

Big hits in 1967: A Whiter Shade of Pale (Procul Harum), Light My Fire (The Doors), Ruby Tuesday (The Rolling Stones), Mellow Yellow (Donovan), Happy Together (The Turtles), Dedicated to the One I Love (The Mamas and Papas), Incense and Peppermints (The Strawberry Alarm Clock), A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You (The Monkees), Respect (Aretha Franklin), Windy (The Association), Up, Up and Away (The Fifth Dimension), I Was Made to Love Her (Stevie Wonder), Ode to Billy Joe (Bobbie Gentry), The Letter (The Box Tops), To Sir With Love (Lulu), Soul Man (Sam and Dave), Daydream Believer (The Monkees), I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Gladys Knight and the Pips), I Second that Emotion (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles), White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane), and Chain of Fools (Aretha Franklin).

The Beatles keep chugging along with All You Need Is Love, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, and the biggest album of the year (and probably the most important rock album of all time), Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.