SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Long Summer Day, by R.F. Delderfield

Long Summer Day - R.F. Delderfield

My ARC courtesy of Open Road Media and Net Galley - much thanks!

This is the second of Delderfield's novels that I have read (the first being To Serve Them All My Days, set at a rural boy's school between 1918-1940, which I wholeheartedly recommend).  It's a historical novel set in rural Devon in the Edwardian years (roughly 1901-1911).

Paul Craddock has been wounded badly while fighting in the Boer War, and is in a London hospital, receiving indifferent treatment, when his late father's business partner shows up.  The business partner, Franz Zorndorff, reveals to the doctors that Craddock has inherited a fairly large sum of money; his care improves immediately, and Paul recovers to find he has inherited half a scrapyard.

He would rather live in the country.

So he moves to Devon, where most of the rest of the novel is set.  I enjoyed it, but the details of the rural year are covered in the greatest detail, as are the lives of not only Paul Craddock but most of the tenants at the Swallowford estate.   For a decade.

For some readers this will be catnip, and for others - not so much.  It's a rather old-fashioned style of read (it was first published in 1972).  I enjoyed it; reading it at stretches helped get into the flow of it.  I believe it's the first volume of a trilogy (A Horseman Riding By), the rest of which I have not as yet read.  It reads fine as a stand-alone, however.