SusannaG - Confessions of a Crazy Cat Lady

Progress: 20/512 pages
Lady Cop Makes Trouble
Amy Stewart

The Last Duel

The Last Duel: A True Story of Crime, Scandal, and Trial by Combat in Medieval France - Eric Jager

This was an interesting glimpse of 14th century France through the prism of an infamous scandal, where a Norman knight accused one of his rivals of raping his wife.  In the resulting court-ordered duel (the last in France, and one of the last in western Europe) at least one of them will die; if the knight loses, he will not die alone, however.  His wife, who will have been found by God to have been a false witness, will burn at the stake.

Was the rival guilty of rape?  Was he set up?  Still not clear over 500 years later, though Eric Jager leans one way, as is fairly clear in the text.  But an interesting story.