SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust: A Flavia de Luce Novel - Alan Bradley

My ARC courtesy of Random House/Net Galley - much thanks!

I find this series enormously entertaining.

This time our heroine with the passion for chemistry, Flavia de Luce, is "Banished!" from her crumbling ancestral mansion, Buckshaw, to attend her mother's old school, Miss Bodycote's Female Academy, in Toronto, Canada.  She is not thrilled about going ("Banished!"), but is somewhat mollified by the lure of an electron microscope to play with.

Then things look up her first night at the school, when a mummified corpse, wrapped in a Union Jack, comes crashing down the chimney in her room.  She is determined to investigate.  Was it one of the several girls rumored to have disappeared from the school, or somebody else?  How long has it been there?  Who committed the murder, and how did they do it?  She is not helped in her investigations by lack of much access to the body (or to the police, for that matter), or by the school policy against students asking personal questions about other students.

I really enjoy this series.  This volume is not quite as good as its predecessor, The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, which I thought was one of the best in the series.  I can't quite pin down why, unless it's because Flavia is really the only returning character in this one.  I missed the gang down at Buckshaw and Bishop's Lacey.  It was still a fun read, and I devoured it.