SusannaG

Queen's Gambit: A Novel
Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Earworms: 1969

It's 1969.  Three days of "peace love and music" at Woodstock closes down the interstate in NY; a man is murdered by the Hell's Angels, hired as security, at the Rolling Stones' free concert at the Altamont race track.  (My stepfather's friends went to Altamont and had a great time, he says.)  117 are arrested for riot at the L.A. Free Festival in Venice Beach, California.  Brian Jones dies in his swimming pool, but the Stones go on.  The Beatles and The Supremes continue to break up.  Elvis comes back.

Big hits in 1969: Suspicious Minds (Elvis), Honky Tonk Women (The Rolling Stones), Sugar Sugar (The Archies), In the Year 2525 (Zager & Evans), Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In (5th Dimension), The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel), A Boy Named Sue (Johnny Cash), Crimson and Clover (Tommy James and the Shondells), Everyday People (Sly and the Family Stone), For Once in My Life (Stevie Wonder), Get Together (The Youngbloods), Good Morning Starshine (Oliver), He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (The Hollies), Hooked On a Feeling (B.J. Thomas), Hot Fun in the Summertime (Sly and the Family Stone), I Can't Get Next to You (The Temptations), In the Ghetto (Elvis), I Started a Joke (The Bee Gees), It's Your Thing (The Isley Brothers), Lay Lady Lay (Bob Dylan), Leaving on a Jet Plane (Peter, Paul, and Mary), My Cherie Amour (Stevie Wonder), My Way (Frank Sinatra), Pinball Wizard (The Who), Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (B.J. Thomas), Space Oddity (David Bowie), Spinning Wheel (Blood Sweat & Tears), Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Crosby, Stills, & Nash), Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond), Time of the Season (The Zombies), Touch Me (The Doors), and Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin).

Creedence Clearwater Revival (aka CCR) have a huge year, with three hit albums, and hit singles including Bad Moon Rising, Proud Mary, Green River, Down on the Corner, and Fortunate Son.

Beatles Hits: Get Back, The Ballad of John and Yoko, Something, and Come Together.