SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Dreaming Spies

Dreaming Spies: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes - Laurie R. King

Dreaming Spies is the 13th installment in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King.  And it was a real return to form for me from the two previous in the series, The Pirate King (for me, the weakest in the series), and Garment of Shadows (OK).

This one is partly (about 2/3) set between The Game and Locked Rooms, or in the spring of 1924, on the steamer Thomas Carlyle, en route from Bombay to Japan, and in Japan itself, where they take on a case for a most exalted client.  The other third is set in Oxford in the spring of 1925.

In this one we get blackmail, Mary's nightmares (explained in Locked Rooms), ninjas(!), Holmes and Russell hitchhiking across Japan, and aristocracy up to no good, among other fun items.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

My ARC courtesy of Bantam/Net Galley - much thanks!