SusannaG

H. Rider Haggard
Progress: 4 %

Lamentation, by C.J. Sansom

Lamentation - C.J. Sansom

Another wonderful volume in C.J. Sansom's Shardlake series of historical mysteries, set in Tudor London.  (The first is Dissolution.)

This one is set in 1546, as Henry VIII is dying, there is a heresy hunt on at court, and Anne Askew is being burned at the stake in London.  Queen Catherine Parr is nervous, as she has very imprudently written Lamentations of a Sinner, not told Henry VIII about it, and she fears that he will find out about it, rule it heretical, and she will fall, bringing down many others with her.

And it's been stolen by person or persons unknown.

Our favorite villain, Sir Richard Rich, (boo! hiss!) is back, and we also meet the future Elizabeth I, 13, and her future great minister, Cecil.

ETA: This is the cover I have, the UK one, which I think is really cool.  Looks like Americans will not only get this later (2015 - February or March?) but with a lesser cover.