SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

2014 in Review

Lamentation - C.J. Sansom Twilight of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Picasso, Stravinsky, Proust, Renault, Marie Curie, Gertrude Stein, and Their Friends Through the Great War - Mary McAuliffe Someone Knows My Name: A Novel - Lawrence Hill A Trick of the Light - Louise Penny Wings Of Fire - Charles Todd The Boleyn King - Laura Andersen The Windsor Faction: A Novel - D.J. Taylor Archduke Franz Ferdinand Lives!: A World without World War I - Richard Ned Lebow The Magicians - Lev Grossman

2014 was a very good reading year.

2 new reads (not counting knitting books) worth 5 stars: Lamentation, by C.J. Sansom, and Twilight of the Belle Epoque, by Mary McAuliffe.  Three more came close, coming in at 4.5 stars: Someone Knows My Name (aka The Book of Negroes), A Trick of the Light, and Wings of Fire.

Standout author discovery: Louise Penny.  I read eight of her excellent Inspector Gamache novels this year.  I kind of want to move to Three Pines, Quebec, now.  Except for the dead bodies thing.  (Note: read in order.  Order counts with this series.)

Biggest disappointment: The Boleyn King, for taking a great alternate history idea (Anne Boleyn lives, as she gives birth to a boy in 1536; Henry VIII has only two wives), and wastes it on a teenaged Tudor love triangle, featuring a Mary Sue in the lead role.

Worst reads: The Windsor Faction, which sells itself as alternate-history thriller (Edward VIII is king in 1939 when WW2 starts; will he pull Britain out of the war?) but is actually a literary novel about a wet mess of a girl whom I neither liked nor cared about.  Archduke Franz Ferdinand Lives!, which features a pompous author, inconsistent arguments, and a poor sources page (mostly "learn more in my other books!").

Hardest to rate: The Magicians, alias Holden Caulfield goes to Hogwarts.  Parts of it I liked, a few parts I liked a lot (like when he was magically unable to speak), and parts I hated, like the WTF? ending.   Apparently the first volume of a trilogy.  I shall not be reading the rest of it.