SusannaG

Queen's Gambit: A Novel
Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Set the Wayback Machine to 1970

Yes, the earworms strike again!  I am taking a follow-up to last fall's course on 1960s music, with one on the music of the 1970s.

It's 1970.

The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, and the Supremes finally and definitively break up. Black Sabbath and Aerosmith form.  The future "king of pop," Michael Jackson, has his first hits with The Jackson 5, age 9.  The Who release one of the finest live albums of all time, Live at Leeds.  The Isle of Wight hosts the largest rock concert ever held: 600,000+ jam out to The Who, Jimi Hendrix, and The Doors, among other acts.  Janis Joplin dies of a heroin overdose.

Big hits in 1970: Let it Be (The Beatles), In the Summertime (Mungo Jerry), Bridge over Troubled Water (Simon and Garfunkel), Venus (Shocking Blue), ABC (The Jackson 5), Ain't No Mountain High Enough (Diana Ross), American Woman (The Guess Who), Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell - this is the one that starts "paved paradise, put up a parking lot"), Black Magic Woman (Santana), He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (The Hollies), I Think I Love You (The Partridge Family), I Want You Back (The Jackson 5), I'll Be There (The Jackson 5), Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin), Instant Karma (The Plastic Ono Band), Knock Three Times (Tony Orlando and Dawn), Leaving on a Jet Plane (Peter, Paul, and Mary), Lola (The Kinks), The Long and Winding Road (The Beatles), Love the One You're With (Stephen Stills), Mama Told Me Not to Come (Three Dog Night),  Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head (B.J. Thomas), Signed Sealed Delivered (Stevie Wonder), and We've Only Just Begun (The Carpenters).