SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Earworms: 1971

It is 1971.

The Eagles and Queen form.  Paul McCartney grows a pair of Wings.  The first Glastonbury Festival is held, featuring acts like David Bowie and Traffic.  Bill Graham closes both Fillmore East and Fillmore West concert venues (in NYC and San Fransisco, respectively).  Jim Morrison drowns in a bathtub in Paris.  Madison Square Garden hosts the first rock concert for charity, The Concert for Bangladesh, featuring George Harrison, Bob Dylan, and Eric Clapton.  Led Zeppelin release their fourth, untitled, album, known generally as either "Zoso" or "Led Zeppelin IV."  All four ex-Beatles chart.

Big hits in 1971: My Sweet Lord (George Harrison), Imagine (John Lennon), Maggie May (Rod Stewart), (I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden (Lynn Anderson), Brown Sugar (The Rolling Stones), American Pie (Don McLean), Behind Blue Eyes (The Who), Black Dog (Led Zeppelin), Brand New Key (Melanie, who has a brand new pair of roller skates), Eighteen (Alice Cooper), Family Affair (Sly and the Family Stone), For All We Know (The Carpenters), Get It On (T. Rex), Go Away Little Girl (Donny Osmond) Have You Ever Seen the Rain? (Creedence Clearwater Revival), How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (Bee Gees), I Am I Said (Neil Diamond), I'd Like To Teach the World to Sing (The New Seekers), It Don't Come Easy (Ringo Starr), It's Too Late (Carole King), Joy to the World (Three Dog Night), L.A. Woman (The Doors), Levon (Elton John), Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull), Love Her Madly (The Doors), Me and Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin), Peace Train (Cat Stevens), Proud Mary (Ike and Tina Turner), Rainy Days and Mondays (The Carpenters), Take Me Home Country Roads (John Denver), Theme from 'Shaft' (Isaac Hayes), Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (Paul McCartney and Wings), What's Going On (Marvin Gaye), Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who), Your Song (Elton John), and You've Got a Friend (James Taylor).