SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %
Cosmic Quest Cd (Bbc Audio)
Heather Couper
Firedrake's Eye
Patricia Finney
Progress: 15/249 pages

The Victorian City

The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London - Judith Flanders

Judith Flanders wrote Inside the Victorian Home, which pondered what exactly went on in each room of a Victorian house (leaving the question of why Jane Carlyle had 10 dining chairs in her bedroom unanswered, alas); this book is the companion, looking at the Victorian street, where so much of public life went on.

I can't recommend this one more.  It is a fascinating read.

For a great many people of Victorian London lived most of their lives out on the streets.  (For many people could not afford a house, but only a room, or part of one.  Or none at all.)  They walked (most of them many miles a day), ate (many inadequately), worked (for insane hours, up to 20 hours a day), and entertained themselves there, too.

Covers all sorts of territory, from one of the most ostentatious non-royal funerals ever (that of the Duke of Wellington, in 1852), to a discussion of what exactly was a prostitute, how did men recognize them when they saw them, and how many whores there were in London.

"Dickens' London" is not just a phrase for a catchy title: this book is about the London of his lifetime (only very occasionally do we stray later than the early 1870s, or earlier than about 1810), and a number of relevant episodes from his life and writings are mentioned.

Thoroughly illustrated, with black and white illustrations in the text, maps of Victorian London in the front, and a couple of color inserts.  Plentiful endnotes.