SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Earworms: 1974

It is 1974.

The Ramones and Rush form.  ABBA wins the Eurovision song contest and become an international sensation with "Waterloo."  Bill Haley and the Comets' "Rock Around the Clock" returns to the US top 40, after its use in both American Graffiti  and Happy Days.  "Mama" Cass Eliot dies of a heart attack.  John Lennon makes an unannounced 3-song guest appearance at an Elton John concert at Madison Square Garden - his last stage performance.  Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks join Fleetwood Mac.  Jefferson Airplane implodes, with the chief result being Jefferson Starship.

Big hits in 1974: The Way We Were (Barbra Streisand), Time in a Bottle (Jim Croce), The Joker (Steve Miller Band), You're Sixteen (Ringo Starr), Seasons in the Sun (Terry Jacks; kill it with fire), Sunshine on my Shoulders (John Denver), Hooked on a Feeling (Blue Suede), Bennie and the Jets (Elton John), TSOP (MSFB and The Three Degrees), The Locomotion (Grand Funk Railroad), Band on the Run (Paul McCartney & Wings), Rock the Boat (Hues Corporation), Feel Like Makin' Love (Roberta Flack), I Shot the Sheriff (Eric Clapton), I Honestly Love You (Olivia Newton-John), You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet (Bachman Turner Overdrive), Whatever Gets You Through the Night (John Lennon), Kung Fu Fighting (Carl Douglas), Cat's in the Cradle (Harry Chapin), Waterloo (ABBA), The Air That I Breathe (The Hollies), The Bitch Is Back (Elton John), For the Love of Money (The O'Jays), It's Only Rock and Roll (The Rolling Stones), Jungle Boogie (Cool & the Gang), Killer Queen (Queen), Smokin' in the Boys' Room (Brownsville Station), and Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd).