SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Earworms: 1976

It is 1976.

The Beatles decline an offer of thirty million dollars for a one-off concert.  Then on Saturday Night Live Lorne Michaels makes a semi-serious offer of $3,000 for an on-air reunion on the show, later bumped up to $3,200.  John Lennon and Paul McCartney are watching SNL together from Lennon's New York apartment, and very nearly walk down to the SNL studios "for a gag," but decide they are too tired.  Platinum certification of records is introduced - the first to "go platinum" is an Eagles album, Eagles: Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975).  While on tour in Memphis, Bruce Springsteen jumps the wall at Graceland, in an attempt to meet Elvis, and is escorted off the premises by security guards.  The first international punk festival is held in London.  The era of the "huge stage show" arrives in force, thanks to Parliament/Funkadelic and Kiss.  U2, The Clash, and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers form.

Big Hits: Dancing Queen (ABBA), Saturday Night (The Bay City Rollers; I am not subjecting y'all to this, for which you should be grateful), I Write the Songs (Barry Manilow), Theme from Mahoganny (Do You Know Where You're Going To) (Diana Ross), 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover (Paul Simon), December 1963 (Oh What a Night) (The Four Seasons), Boogie Fever (The Sylvers), Silly Love Songs (Paul McCartney & Wings), Afternoon Delight (Starland Vocal Band), Don't Go Breaking My Heart (Elton John & Kiki Dee), You Should Be Dancing (The Bee Gees), (Shake Shake Shake) Shake Your Booty (KC and the Sunshine Band), Play that Funky Music (Wild Cherry), Disco Duck (Rick Dees & His Cast of Idiots), If You Leave Me Now (Chicago), Rock'n Me (Steve Miller Band), Beth (Kiss), Blinded by the Light (Manfred Mann's Earth Band), Carry On My Wayward Son (Kansas), Crazy on You (Heart), Don't Fear the Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult), Let 'Em In (Paul McCartney & Wings), Love Hurts (Nazareth), Love To Love You Baby (Donna Summer), Nadia's Theme (Barry Devorzon & Perry Botkin), Over My Head (Fleetwood Mac), Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac), Show Me the Way (Peter Frampton), Somebody to Love (Queen), Strange Magic (Electric Light Orchestra), That'll Be the Day (Linda Rondstadt), and There's a Kind of Hush (The Carpenters).