SusannaG

Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Earworms: 1978

It is 1978.

The biggest movie of the year is a musical: Grease, starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.  It will rule not only the school, but the pop charts (and fashion, as women's skirt lengths plunge).  On the other hand, the movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, starring the Bee Gees, is a colossal flop with both critics and audiences.  A musical evening of note on Saturday Night Live: The Blues Brothers debut, and Steve Martin pays homage to "King Tut."  (Funky Tut.)  Keith Moon dies.  Duran Duran and the Go-Gos form.

Big Hits: YMCA (The Village People), Night Fever (The Bee Gees), Stayin' Alive (The Bee Gees), With a Little Luck (Paul McCartney & Wings), You're the One that I Want (John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John), Shadow Dancing (Andy Gibb), Miss You (The Rolling Stones), Three Times a Lady (The Commodores), Grease (Franki Valli), Boogie Oogie Oogie (A Taste of Honey), Kiss You All Over (Exile), MacArthur Park (Donna Summer), You Don't Bring Me Flowers (Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond), Le Freak (Chic), Copacabana (Barry Manilow), FM (No Static At All) (Steely Dan), Here You Come Again (Dolly Parton), Hot Blooded (Foreigner), I Love the Nightlife (Alicia Bridges), Just the Way You Are (Billy Joel), Last Dance (Donna Summer), Take a Chance On Me (ABBA), Who Are You (The Who), and You Belong to Me (Carly Simon).