SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Earworms: 1979

It's 1979.

Disco is king: acts as disparate as Blondie, Barbra Streisand, and Kiss have hits in the genre.  Disco also sucks: Chicago's Comiskey Park features Disco Demolition Night on the night of a doubleheader between the White Sox and the Detroit Tigers, which ends in exploding disco records, a packed house rushing the field, center field being set on fire, and the forfeiture of the second game due to a riot.  Black Sabbath fires Ozzy Osbourne.  Elton John tours the Soviet Union.  The Sony Walkman is introduced, in Japan.  The Sugarhill Gang releases the first broadside of rap, "Rapper's Delight."  11 fans are crushed to death at a Who concert in Cincinnati.  Bananarama form.

Big hits:  My Sharona (The Knack), Too Much Heaven (The Bee Gees), Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? (Rod Stewart), I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor), Tragedy (The Bee Gees), What a Fool Believes (The Doobie Brothers), Heart of Glass (Blondie), Reunited (Peaches & Herb), Hot Stuff (Donna Summer), Ring My Bell (Anita Ward), Bad Girls (Donna Summer), Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (Michael Jackson), Heartache Tonight (The Eagles), No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) (Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer), Escape (The Pina Colada Song) (Rupert Holmes), After the Love Has Gone (Earth Wind & Fire), Bad Case of Loving You (Robert Palmer), Big Shot (Billy Joel), Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen), The Devil Went Down to Georgia (Charlie Daniels Band), Dim All the Lights (Donna Summer), Don't Bring Me Down (ELO), The Gambler (Kenny Rogers), Goodbye Stranger (Supertramp), I Want You To Want Me (Cheap Trick), In the Navy (The Village People), The Logical Song (Supertramp), The Long Run (The Eagles), Take the Long Way Home (Supertramp), and We Are Family (Sister Sledge).