SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Earworms: 1981

It is 1981.

It's also the dawn of the music video age: MTV debuts in the US on August 1st.  (First video aired: Video Killed the Radio Star, by The Buggles.)  Blondie scores the first ever #1 rap hit, with Rapture.  Ozzy Osbourne bites the head off a dove.  Simon & Garfunkel perform a one-off free show "reunion" in Central Park for a crowd of at least 500,000.  The Bangles, Pet Shop Boys, Run-D.M.C., and Metallica form.  Paul McCartney ditches Wings.

Big hits: Endless Love (Diana Ross & Lionel Richie), The Tide is High (Blondie), Celebration (Kool & the Gang), 9 to 5 (Dolly Parton), I Love a Rainy Night (Eddie Rabbitt), Keep On Loving You (REO Speedwagon), Rapture (Blondie), Kiss on My List (Hall & Oates), Morning Train (9 to 5) (Sheena Easton), Bette Davis Eyes (Kim Carnes), The One That You Love (Air Supply), Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield), Arthur's Theme (The Best that You Can Do) (Chris Cross), Private Eyes (Hall & Oates), Physical (Olivia Newton-John), Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne), Edge of Seventeen (Stevie Nicks), Elvira (The Oak Ridge Boys), Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (The Police), I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) (Hall & Oates), Limelight (Rush), Our Lips Are Sealed (The Go-Gos), Queen of Hearts (Juice Newton), Rock This Town (The Stray Cats), Start Me Up (The Rolling Stones), Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), Stray Cat Strut (The Stray Cats), Superfreak (Rick James), Theme from The Greatest American Hero (Believe it or Not) (Joey Scarbury), Tom Sawyer (Rush), Urgent (Foreigner), Whip It (Devo), and You Better You Bet (The Who).