SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Earworms: 1982

It is 1982.

Michael Jackson releases Thriller - still the largest-selling album of all time.  Ozzy Osbourne bites the head off a bat.  The first US Festival is held over Labor Day weekend, featuring the music of Fleetwood Mac, The Police, The Grateful Dead, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and The B-52's, among others.  Madonna releases her first single, which does not chart.  The musical Cats begins an 18-year run on Broadway.  Abba do not officially split, but cease recording and releasing music.  The Smiths and Public Enemy form.

Big hits: I Love Rock and Roll (Joan Jett & The Blackhearts), Ebony and Ivory (Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder), Centerfold (J. Geils Band), Don't You Want Me (Human League), Eye of the Tiger (Survivor), Abracadabra (Steve Miller Band), Hard To Say I'm Sorry (Chicago), Jack and Diane (John Cougar, yet to be Mellencamp), Who Can It Be Now? (Men at Work), Up Where We Belong (Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes), Truly (Lionel Richie), Mickey (Toni Basil), Maneater (Hall & Oates), Down Under (Men at Work), Hurts So Good (John Cougar), Tainted Love (Soft Cell), Rosanna (Toto), 867-5309/Jenny (Tommy Tutone), Waiting For a Girl Like You (Foreigner), Shake It Up (The Cars), We Got the Beat (The Go-Gos), Leather and Lace (Stevie Nicks & Don Henley), Back on the Chain Gang (The Pretenders), and Heat of the Moment (Asia).