SusannaG

Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Earworms: 1984

It is 1984.

Michael Jackson suffers terrible burns recording a commercial for Pepsi.  He also wins eight Grammy Awards, mostly for the album Thriller.  Marvin Gaye is murdered by his father in the course of a family argument.  First awarding of the MTV Music Video Awards, which are dominated by Herbie Hancock and The Cars (controversial performance of the awards ceremony: Madonna's Like a Virgin).  Bob Geldof of the band Boomtown Rats is among those watching a BBC documentary on the famine in Ethiopia.  The result is the charity all-star band Band Aid, and the single Do They Know It's Christmas?  Tipper Gore founds the Parents Music Resource Center, in response to the "filth" on Prince albums.    Van Halen parts way with David Lee Roth.  The Police break up.  New Kids on the Block form.  Aerosmith reform.

Big Hits: Careless Whisper (Wham!), I Just Called To Say I Love You (Stevie Wonder), Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go (Wham!), Owner of a Lonely Heart (Yes), Karma Chamelion (Culture Club), Jump (Van Halen), Footloose (Kenny Loggins), Against All Odds (Phil Collins), Hello (Lionel Richie), Time After Time (Cyndi Lauper), The Reflex (Duran Duran), When Doves Cry (Prince), Theme from Ghostbusters (Ray Parker, Jr.), What's Love Got To Do With It? (Tina Turner), Let's Go Crazy (Prince), Out of Touch (Hall & Oates), Like a Virgin (Madonna), 99 Red Balloons (Nena), Thriller (Michael Jackson), Girls Just Want to Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper), Here Comes the Rain Again (Eurythmics), New Moon on Monday (Duran Duran), Hold Me Now (Thompson Twins), The Heart of Rock and Roll (Huey Lewis and the News), Eyes Without a Face (Billy Idol), Legs (ZZ Top), She Bop (Cyndi Lauper), Lucky Star (Madonna), Purple Rain (Prince), Wild Boys (Duran Duran), Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen), Uptown Girl (Billy Joel), and Head Over Heels (The Go-Gos).