SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Cro-Magnon, by Brian Fagan

Cro-Magnon: How the Ice Age Gave Birth to the First Modern Humans (Paperback) - Common - By (author) Brian Fagan

This is an interesting study of how the Cro-Magnon survived the Ice Age in Europe.

It is organized not as "archaeologists discovered this, and then they discovered that" but in a "this is what we think their life was like," in chronological order.

The earlier chapters discuss the Neanderthals as well.

I found it ... interesting ... how much Fagan relied on what anthropologists have learned from the Inuit in writing about the Cro-Magnon at the height of the last ice age.  His argument is that there's a limited number of ways in which you can survive that kind of cold environment, and that therefore that's probably what the Cro-Magnon did, too.  I'm not sure that I buy this.