SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Earworms: 1985

It is 1985.

Rio de Janiero hosts 1.5 million for a rock festival, featuring artists from The B-52s and The Go-Gos to James Taylor, Iron Maiden, and AC/DC.  VH-1, MTV's slightly-older skewing sister station, begins airing.  The charity supergroup USA for Africa, featuring everyone from Michael Jackson and Cyndi Lauper to Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, records the hit of the year, We Are the World - proceeds to African famine relief.  Whitney Houston releases what is still the top-selling debut album by a female artist.  Stevie Wonder wins an Oscar, which he dedicates to Nelson Mandela; the next day his music is banned from the airwaves in South Africa.  Wham! becomes the first rock group to play in the People's Republic of China.  The Live Aid concerts in London and Philadelphia over 16 hours on July 13th raise enormous sums of money for famine relief.  Headliners include Madonna, Duran Duran, Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, The Who, Queen, U2, David Bowie, Elton John, Black Sabbath, Run-D.M.C., The Beach Boys, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, and Bob Dylan.  Michael Jackson buys the publishing rights to the music of The Beatles, outbidding Paul McCartney.  Guns N' Roses forms.

Big hits: We Are the World (USA for Africa), I Want to Know What Love Is (Foreigner), Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore (REO Speedwagon), Crazy for You (Madonna), Don't You Forget About Me (Simple Minds), Everybody Wants To Rule the World (Tears for Fears), A View to a Kill (Duran Duran), Shout (Tears for Fears), The Power of Love (Huey Lewis & The News), Money for Nothing (Dire Straits), Take On Me (A-ha), Saving All My Love For You (Whitney Houston), We Built This City (Starship), Broken Wings (Mr. Mister), Say You, Say Me (Lionel Richie), Born in the U.S.A. (Bruce Springsteen), The Old Man Down the Road (John Fogerty), Material Girl (Madonna), Private Dancer (Tina Turner), Relax (Frankie Goes to Hollywood), Walking on Sunshine (Katrina & The Waves), Raspberry Beret (Prince & The Revolution), Would I Lie To You? (Eurythmics), Glory Days (Bruce Springsteen), We Don't Need Another Hero (Tina Turner), and Dancing in the Street (Mick Jagger & David Bowie).