SusannaG

Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Earworms: 1986

It is 1986.

The first class in the new "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" is chosen: Elvis, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Buddy Holly, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, and Jerry Lee Lewis.  (The new hall's physical location is also chosen: Cleveland.)  MTV airs a 20th anniversary Monkees marathon, and they go on tour with Weird Al Yankovich.  Van Halen has a new lead singer: Sammy Hagar.  Dolly Parton opens a theme park, Dollywood, in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.  (If you go, don't miss the Dixie Stampede, which features horseshoes played with toilet seats.)  Big winner at the MTV Music Video Awards: A-ha.  The Beastie Boys release Licensed to Ill, the first hip hop #1 album.  The Goo-Goo Dolls, Roxette, and Green Day form.

Big Hits: That's What Friends Are For (Dionne Warwick & Friends), How Will I Know? (Whitney Houston), Kyrie Eleison (Mr. Mister), These Dreams (Heart), Rock Me Amadeus (Falco), Kiss (Prince & The Revolution), Addicted To Love (Robert Palmer), West End Girls (Pet Shop Boys), The Greatest Love of All (Whitney Houston), Live to Tell (Madonna), Holding Back the Years (Simply Red), Invisible Touch (Genesis), Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel), Papa Don't Preach (Madonna), Higher Love (Steve Winwood), Venus (Bananarama), When I Think of You (Janet Jackson), True Colors (Cyndi Lauper), You Give Love a Bad Name (Bon Jovi), Walk Like an Egyptian (The Bangles), Living in America (James Brown), (Everybody do the) Conga (Miami Sound Machine), The Sweetest Taboo (Sade), R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A. (John Cougar Mellencamp), What You Need (INXS), Manic Monday (The Bangles), Why Can't This Be Love? (Van Halen), What Have You Done For Me Lately? (Janet Jackson), Nasty (Janet Jackson), Mad About You (Belinda Carlisle), Walk This Way (Run-D.M.C. featuring Aerosmith), True Blue (Madonna), Hip to be Square (Huey Lewis and the News), Everybody Have Fun Tonight (Wang Chung), and Stand By Me (Ben E. King).