SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %
Cosmic Quest Cd (Bbc Audio)
Heather Couper
Firedrake's Eye
Patricia Finney
Progress: 15/249 pages

The Rhetoric of Death

The Rhetoric of Death - Judith Rock

Charles du Luc, a Jesuit maitre (he has not yet taken his final vows) is on his way to the Jesuit school of Louis le Grand, in the Latin Quarter of Paris, in the summer of 1686.  He has just helped his Protestant cousin Petronelle and her daughter across the border to Geneva.  (They were in danger from the French government, as Louis XIV had recently revoked the Edict of Nantes, that gave them the right to practice their religion.)  His cousin, the bishop, learned of it, and had him sent to Paris to get him out of the way.

He is to teach grammar and rhetoric to the beginners in the morning, and ballet to the older students in the afternoon.  And then the school's best ballet student disappears, eventually to be found, murdered.   His younger brother is apparently also in danger.

Du Luc's search for answers will take him all over Paris.

I liked Judith Rock's writing, which evoked the Paris of Louis XIV well, and really appreciated the setting, which is certainly not one over-used in historical mysteries.  (In fact, I can't remember the last one I read with anything like this setting.)  I'd read the next one in the series, and I think my library has it.