SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Earworms: 1988

It is 1988.

Celine Dion wins the Eurovision contest, competing for Switzerland.  Atlantic Records stages a mammoth concert to celebrate their 40th anniversary, with headliners including Led Zeppelin, Crosby Stills & Nash, Foreigner, and Iron Butterfly.  Motown is sold to MCA for 61 million dollars.  In my favorite plagiarism lawsuit ever, John Fogerty is found not guilty of plagiarizing himself. (He will counter-sue Fantasy Records, and that case will make it all the way to the US Supreme Court.)  Death of Roy Orbison.  Boyz II Men, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Milli Vanilli form.

Big Hits: Faith (George Michael), So Emotional (Whitney Houston), Got My Mind Set On You (George Harrison), The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson), Need You Tonight (INXS), Father Figure (George Michael), Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick Astley), Man in the Mirror (Michael Jackson), Wishing Well (Terence Trent D'Arby), Roll With It (Steve Winwood), Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses), Don't Worry Be Happy (Bobby McFerrin), Red Red Wine (UB40), Wild Wild West (The Escape Club), Kokomo (The Beach Boys), Every Rose Has Its Thorn (Poison), Hazy Shade of Winter (The Bangles), Candle in the Wind (Elton John), Hysteria (Def Leppard), Devil Inside (INXS), Pour Some Sugar on Me (Def Leppard), New Sensation (INXS), Simply Irresistible (Robert Palmer), I Hate Myself For Loving You (Joan Jett & The Blackhearts), Please Don't Go Girl (New Kids On the Block), The Loco-Motion (Kylie Minogue), Never Tear Us Apart (INXS), Desire (U2), and Welcome to the Jungle (Guns N' Roses).