SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Earworms: 1989

It is 1989.

Paul McCartney releases the album Back in the USSR, exclusively in the USSR.  Bootleg copies sell for as much as $1,000 in the U.S.  James Brown is sentenced to six years in a Georgia prison for a wild police chase through Georgia and South Carolina.  Madonna divorces Sean Penn.  Tiny Tim runs (unsuccessfully, alas) for mayor of New York City.  Jewelry stores in Los Angeles call the police about a "suspicious person" casing their joints.  It turns out to be Michael Jackson.  Ice Cube leaves N.W.A. over financial and personality disputes.  The Dixie Chicks, Wilson Phillips, and En Vogue form.

Big hits: My Perogative (Bobby Brown), Straight Up (Paula Abdul), Eternal Flame (The Bangles), The Look (Roxette), She Drives Me Crazy (Fine Young Cannibals), Like a Prayer (Madonna), I'll Be There For You (Bon Jovi), Forever Your Girl (Paula Abdul), Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler), I'll Be Loving You (New Kids On the Block), If You Don't Know Me By Now (Simply Red), Batdance (Prince), Cold Hearted (Paula Abdul), Hangin' Tough (New Kids On the Block), Girl I'm Gonna Miss You (Milli Vanilli), Miss You Much (Janet Jackson), Blame It On the Rain (Milli Vanilli), We Didn't Start the Fire (Billy Joel), In Your Room (The Bangles), Put a Little Love in Your Heart (Annie Lennox & Al Green), Wild Thing (Tone Loc), What I Am (Edie Brickell & New Bohemians), Paradise City (Guns N' Roses), Girl You Know It's True (Milli Vanilli), Walk the Dinosaur (Was (Not Was)), Stand (R.E.M.), Funky Cold Medina (Tone Loc), Soldier of Love (Donny Osmond - released anonymously), Patience (Guns N' Roses), Express Yourself (Madonna), The End of the Innocence (Don Henley), If I Could Turn Back Time (Cher), Cherish (Madonna), Lovesong (The Cure), Mixed Emotions (The Rolling Stones), Bust a Move (Young MC), Sowing the Seeds of Love (Tears for Fears), Love in an Elevator (Aerosmith), Dr. Feelgood (Motley Crue), and Love Shack (The B-52's).