SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Murder by the Book

Murder by the Book - Susanna Gregory

This is one of the Matthew Bartholomew historical mysteries, set in medieval Cambridge, where Bartholomew is a physician and professor of medicine at one of the colleges (Michaelhouse).  Some of the other scholars, and some of the townspeople, think he's a witch, as more of his patients live than otherwise.

This one has to do with the ongoing war with France (the battle of Poitiers is our opener), and the university's hotly-contested decision to open a joint university library, for use by all the academics, instead of each college and hostel jealously hoarding their precious books to themselves.  (Rich foundations like King's Hall have many, while the poorer hostels have only a few.)  And then the dead bodies of those who voted for the proposal start to appear.

I'm astonished anyone was left alive in Cambridge by the end of this one, as I got lost in the body count at nine, and I'm sure I could have missed some.  It had a very twisty ending, too.