SusannaG

H. Rider Haggard
Progress: 4 %

Earworms: 1990

It is 1990.

MTV debuts their Unplugged series.  Jamaica celebrates Bob Marley's Birthday as an official holiday for the first time.  The Rolling Stones tour Japan for the first time (originally scheduled for 1973, but prevented at that time by Mick Jagger's lack of visa due to drug convictions).  London hosts a massive rock concert that pays homage to the recently released Nelson Mandela, featuring Anita Baker, Peter Gabriel, and Niel Young.  The rap group 2 Live Crew are arrested for on-stage obscenity in Hollywood, Florida - but are acquitted.  Death of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Leonard Bernstein.  Celine Dion makes her first English-language recordings.  Cop Rock is a flop; US TV's only known musical police procedural is dead on arrival.  MTV bans the video for Madonna's new single, Justify My Love.  Milli Vanilli admit that they are frauds, who didn't sing a note on their reputed albums.  The Grammy Awards rescind their award for "Best New Artist."  Brooks & Dunn, TLC, and Pearl Jam form.

Big hits: Nothing Compares 2 U (Sinead O'Connor), How Am I Supposed To Live Without You? (Michael Bolton), Opposites Attract (Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair), Escapade (Janet Jackson), Vogue (Madonna), Hold On (Wilson Phillips), It Must Have Been Love (Roxette), Step by Step (New Kids On the Block), Vision of Love (Mariah Carey), Blaze of Glory (Bon Jovi), Release Me (Wilson Phillips), Love and Affection (Nelson), Praying for Time (George Michael), Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice), Black Cat (Janet Jackson), I'm Your Baby Tonight (Whitney Houston), Pump Up the Jam (Technotronic), Rhythm Nation (Janet Jackson), Free Fallin' (Tom Petty), Janie's Got a Gun (Aerosmith), Roam (The B-52s), Poison (Bel Biv DeVoe), U Can't Touch This (MC Hammer), Hold On (En Vogue), Enjoy the Silence (Depeche Mode), Suicide Blonde (INXS), and Groove is in the Heart (Deee-Lite).