SusannaG

Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Something About Me

A lot of us are posting (or re-posting) little "get to know me" posts, so here's mine.

I'm a stroke survivor, of eleven years now.  Reading is one of the things I didn't have to re-learn how to do.  (Talking and telling time are two others.)  I don't think I've ever been so grateful for something in my life as when I looked at a sign in the ER and realized I could still read it.

I no longer work (I have the stamina of a slug for one thing, and can't drive, for another), but my academic background is in history.  My interests are mostly in early-modern and modern European, but I'm OK on American history as well.

I live in South Carolina, where "the war," unlike in the US generally, does not mean the war that ended in 1945, but the one that ended in 1865.  I have ancestors who fought and died in that war - on both sides.  (It amuses me as a historian that I also have ancestors who fought on both sides of the English Civil War.)

I still read a good bit of non-fiction: mostly history, but also sometimes science or some other field.  I also read a lot of mystery, historical fiction, and their love child, historical mystery.  Frankly, I read anything that stays still long enough, probably not including horror (I read a Steven King once, in about 1983) and westerns.

I don't give out 5 stars very generously (once this year, so far, though I think it's going to be twice pretty soon), but am fairly generous with 4 stars.  A 3-star read for me is a perfectly decent book.  (It's also my default rating for "I know I read this book a long time ago, but don't remember much of what I thought of it.")

One of the things I like about being here on BookLikes is that it makes me want to review more.