SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Earworms: 1992

It is 1992.

Punk, in the form of "grunge," hits it big in the US, 15 years later, as Nirvana's Nevermind hits the top of the album charts.  Lead singer Kurt Cobain marries Courtney Love.  David Bowie marries Iman.  Whitney Houston marries Bobby Brown.  The UN cultural boycott of South Africa ends, with the end of aparteid, and Paul Simon goes on tour there.  The US postal service holds a gigantic popular election for "young" Elvis" vs. "old" Elvis for a proposed stamp.  ("Young" Elvis wins.)  Madonna's diamond-studded bustier is stolen from a display window at Frederick's of Hollywood.  Guns N' Roses' November Rain is the longest single ever in the US Top 20: 8 minutes, 57 seconds.  Sinead O'Connor rips a picture of the Pope in two, while hosting Saturday Night Live.  And her career disappears.  Collective Soul, Sixpence None the Richer, and Hanson form.

Big Hits: End of the Road (Boyz 2 Men), Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (George Michael & Elton John), I'm Too Sexy (Right Said Fred), Save the Best for Last (Vanessa Williams), Baby Got Back (Sir Mix-A-Lot), I'll Be There (Mariah Carey), This Used to be My Playground (Madonna), I Will Always Love You (Whitney Houston), 2 Legit 2 Quit (MC Hammer), Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana), Tears in Heaven (Eric Clapton), Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen; it hits #2 in the US, after being featured brilliantly in Wayne's World), My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) (En Vogue), Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers), One (U2), Damn! I Wish I Was Your Lover (Sophie B. Hawkins), Achy Breaky Heart (Billy Ray Cyrus), November Rain (Guns N' Roses), Move This (Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K), and Free Your Mind (En Vogue).