SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie

Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie

This novel won most of the major science fiction awards a couple of years ago, and is a very curious novel.

I don't believe I've ever read a novel narrated by a spaceship AI before.  Also, there are some interesting things going on with gendered pronouns - "she" is the default, and it can be hard to determine the gender of many of the characters.  (Because the narrator is also mostly confused, I think.)

The story is told in two strands for the first half of the novel - events start in the present, on a bitterly cold planet, when "Breq" finds the body of someone she knew 1000 years ago, lying in front of a bar.  Her former captain, an aristocratic snob, is a dying drug addict.  But the other major narrative, usually in alternating chapters, is set 19 years earlier, when Breq was the ship Justice of Toren, as well as her unlimited reanimated corpses, the ancillaries who are also her, on (and in orbit above it) a planet recently assimilated into the Radchaai empire.

I enjoyed it, despite a complicated narrative structure (watch out for multiple first person narration in the past chapters).  I'm giving it 4 stars because I hit my bedtime and went blithely on reading until I was done with it, which was at OMG AM.