SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Since Everyone's Doing It: How I Rate

A note on how I rate:

5 stars: A rare rating.  I've given out three 5-star ratings so far this year, but some years I'm lucky to give out one.  I can be very picky.

4 stars: On the other hand, I can be pretty generous with 4 stars.  A 4-star rated book is definitely above average, or just an entire blast to read even if artistically it's maybe not that high.  (What can I say - I know it when I read it!)

3 stars: A perfectly good average read.  Nothing wrong with it, just not enough pluses to elevate it to a better rating.  Probably nothing special, but just fine.

2 stars: Book has significant problems, but still has something going for it.  Maybe it's written by an author who can write, but I hated the characters and the plot was 'meh.'  Maybe a lot of grammar errors the editor should have caught.  Maybe it's historical fiction and something 99% of readers wouldn't notice made me throw it at the wall.

1 star: Books that make me growl, and give me the urge to go grab my matches.  Plot elements I find offensive (particularly if gratuitous).  Incompetent writing.  Mansplaining.

Luckily I have not given a 1 this year - I don't go looking for them!  (I believe my worst this year is in the 2-stars zone, a historical mystery where the 'historical' elements made me want to throw the book - I couldn't because I don't throw my kindle - and the mystery element wasn't terribly good, either.)