SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Earworms: 1996

It is 1996.

Lisa-Marie Presley files for divorce from Michael Jackson.  Pop-Up Videos debut on VH1.  The Jamaican military opens fire on Jimmy Buffet's seaplane (other passengers include Bono and record executives), mistaking it for that of drug smugglers.  Madonna gets death threats from Argentinians appalled that she has been cast as Evita Peron.  Rent opens on Broadway.  Garth Brooks refuses to accept an American Music Award for "Favorite Overall Artist," saying that Hootie and the Blowfish deserved it more.  Rob Pilatus of Milli Vanilli is conked over the head with a baseball bat by the owner of a car he was trying to steal.  The Sex Pistols go on a reunion tour - "Filthy Rotten Lucre."  MC Hammer files for bankruptcy.  A Los Angeles judge rules against Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson in the case of a stolen sex tape.  Sammy Hagar leaves Van Halen, who make a surprise appearance with David Lee Roth at the MTV Music Video Awards.  But decide that Gary Cherone will be their new lead singer.  Slash officially leaves Guns N' Roses.  Take That split up.  Faith Hill marries Tim McGraw.  Coldplay forms.  Death of Tupac Shakur.

Big Hits: One Sweet Day (Mariah Carey and Boyz 2 Men), Macarena (Los Del Rio), Because You Loved Me (Celine Dion), Tha Crossroads (Bone Thugs-N-Harmony), You're Makin' Me High (Toni Braxton), No Diggity (Blackstreet featuring Dr. Dre), Un-Break My Heart (Toni Braxton), Free As a Bird (The Beatles), Ironic (Alannis Morisette), Doin' It (LL Cool J), Give Me One Reason (Tracy Chapman), Until It Sleeps (Metallica), Theme from Mission: Impossible (Adam Clayton & Larry Mullin), Change the World (Eric Clapton), You Outta Know (Alannis Morisette), It's All Coming Back to Me Now (Celine Dion), Wannabe (The Spice Girls), I Finally Found Someone (Barbra Streisand & Bryan Adams), and I'm Only Happy When It Rains (Garbage).