SusannaG

Elizabeth: The Forgotten Years
John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

July Roundup

We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals - Gillian Gill Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends - Mary McAuliffe Uprooted - Naomi Novik Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie Ancillary Sword (Ancillary Justice) - Ann Leckie The Quiet Gentleman - Georgette Heyer Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell, Steven T. Murray The Invisible Library - Genevieve Cogman

Best reads: In a perfectly extraordinary month, I read 2 five-star books (We Two and Dawn of the Belle Epoque), and a 4.5 star book (Uprooted).  For several days this month I had "reading hangovers"; whatever I read I felt sure it wouldn't be a good as what I had just finished.

Strangest read: Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie.  I liked it, as have others in the science fiction community (it won a number of awards), but I can see how the narrative style could drive some readers nuts.

No Worst Read, as nothing really under 3 stars.  But the Weakest Read was The Invisible Library, a steampunk alternate-universes fantasy (with librarian spies, homicidal steam centipedes, faeries, vampires, dragons, and werewolves), which tried to do a bit too much at once.  (Yes, I was reminded of The Parasol Protectorate novels, among other things.  I like those better, by the way.)