SusannaG

Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Sacred Treason

Sacred Treason - James Forrester

Sacred Treason is a historical thriller, set in 1563 England.  Elizabeth I's loyal servants, led by Cecil and Walsingham, are doing their best to track down treasonous plots against the young queen.  And they think they've stumbled on a conspiracy of unreformed Catholics.

Unfortunately for William Harley (who is almost always referred to by his title, the Clarenceux King of Arms, or just "Clarenceux"), his old friend, Henry Machyn, is one of the hunted, and soon so is Clarenceux.

For once my problem with a historical novel was most certainly not on the history side (which is logical enough: "James Forrester" is a pen name for the historian Ian Mortimer), but on the plot side.  The plot is so twisted and convoluted that eventually, numerous dead bodies and questions about Anne Boleyn later, it became pointless.

On the other hand, I can whole-heartedly recommend Mortimer's The Time-Traveler's Guide to Medieval England and his The Time-Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England.  These histories treat the past truly as a foreign country, and are good reads, both of them.