SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %
Cosmic Quest Cd (Bbc Audio)
Heather Couper

Year of Wonders

Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks

Year of Wonders, Geraldine Brooks' first novel, focuses on a year in the life of an English village, Eyam (EE-m), in Derbyshire - the plague year 1665-1666 - seen through the eyes of housemaid Anna Frith.  The title, Year of Wonders, is taken from the poem Annus Mirabilis, by John Dryden - which Dryden was either using ironically, or to suggest that "yes, the Plague and Great Fire of London were horrible, but hey, it could have been much worse!  God is the man!  Thank you, God!"   (The real-life village of Eyam did this; the only place in England which did so of its own volition.)

This village, under the leadership of both its current Church of England pastor, and its past one, a puritan, decides to quarantine itself from the world, to prevent the further spread of the plague, which has already started to spread in the town.  The local earl has agreed to leave food and supplies for them at the Boundary Stone.

It is a read that is naturally full of death, but also full of the growth of the narrator.

I found the epilogue a bit far-fetched, however.