SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Earworms: 1998

It is 1998.

The Walt Disney company has Congress re-write copyright law, in the name of protecting their rights to the use of Mickey Mouse.  Total Request Live (TRL) debuts on MTV.  Elton John is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.  A South Korean company introduces the first mass-produced digital audio player, at a trade show in Hanover, West Germany.  The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) files suit against its release, claiming it is a "piracy device."  Their suit is denied and the Rio PMP300 goes on sale, the world's first commercially available MP3 player.  Lollapalooza goes on hiatus, saying it is unable to sign a major headlining act.  George Michael is arrested at a public rest room in Beverly Hills for "lewd behavior."  Geri Halliwell ("Ginger Spice") leaves the Spice Girls.  The Red Hot Chili Peppers fire Dave Navarro.

Big Hits: The Boy is Mine (Brandy and Monica), Together Again (Janet Jackson), Truly Madly Deeply (Savage Garden), Nice and Slow (Usher), My Heart Will Go On (Celine Dion), Gettin' Jiggy Wit It (Will Smith), All My Life (K-CI and JoJo), Too Close (Next), I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing (Aerosmith), One Week (Barenaked Ladies), Doo Wop (Lauryn Hill), No No No Part II (Destiny's Child featuring Wyclef Jean), Frozen (Madonna), You're Still the One (Shania Twain), Everybody (Backstreet Boys), Ray of Light (Madonna), I'll Be (Edwin McCain), and Iris (The Goo Goo Dolls).

Sorry this is a day later than I like - I wasn't feeling very well on Wednesday.  (Fine today!)