SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

A Duty to the Dead

A Duty to the Dead - Charles Todd

A Duty to the Dead begins with nurse Bess Crawford surviving the sinking of the hospital ship HMHS Britannic (sister ship of the Titanic) in the summer of 1916, and then going home to England to recuperate from a badly broken arm.  While there, she also feels a strong "duty to the dead."

One of her former patients, Arthur Graham, asked, in his dying words, for Bess to visit his brother, Jonathan, and give him a private message: "Tell Jonathan that I lied.  I did it for mother's sake.  But it has to be put right."  So she goes to the village of Owlhurst, in Kent, to perform this task, but finds that no one in the family seems inclined to actually do anything about the message - so she takes on the task herself.

This was a good historical mystery (I have read "Charles Todd" before, but not this series, and liked all of them), and the war atmosphere is well done.  It was an enjoyable read.