SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Earworms: 1999

It is 1999.

Launching of Napster.  A University of Oregon student is the first person ever convicted of downloading illegal MP3s, and sentenced to two years of probation and limited internet access.  Introduction of "diamond" music certification, for albums and singles selling 10 million or more copies.  Neil Young plays Madison Square Garden, but the marquee announces Bob Dylan. Mr. Young jokingly introduces one of his sidemen as "Bob Dylan."  Garbage sing in the opening of the Scottish Parliament.  Billy Joel announces his retirement from pop music.  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  The Red Hot Chili Peppers reunite with John Frusciante, and release the extremely successful album Californication.  Santana releases Supernatural, and sets a record for biggest gap between hit singles: 28 years (he last hit the top ten in 1971).  Eminem is sued by his mother for 10 million dollars for defamation of character; she will eventually win $1,600.  The first Coachella concert in California, features Beck, Morrissey, and Rage Against the Machine.  Boy George is injured by a 62-pound disco ball falling on his head in a concert rehearsal.   Death of Dusty Springfield.

Big Hits: Smooth (Santana featuring Rob Thomas), (Hit Me) Baby One More Time (Britney Spears), Have You Ever? (Brandy), Angel of Mine (Monica), Believe (Cher), No Scrubs (TLC), Livin' La Vida Loca (Ricky Martin), If You Had My Love (Jennifer Lopez), Bills, Bills, Bills (Destiny's Child), Wild Wild West (Will Smith featuring Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee), Genie in a Bottle (Christina Aguilera), Bailaimos (Enrique Inglesias), Unpretty (TLC), Heartbreaker (Maria Carey featuring Jay-Z), (God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time on You ('N Sync), Kiss Me (Sixpence None the Richer), That Don't Impress Me Much (Shania Twain), I Want It That Way (Backstreet Boys), All Star (Smash Mouth), and Mambo #5 (Lou Vega).