SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %
Cosmic Quest Cd (Bbc Audio)
Heather Couper

Earworms Special: Weird Al Yankovic

I thought I'd take a break from the year-by-year survey to honor(?) someone who's been making a living of parodying so much of the music I've already mentioned (and will probably parody much more I'll mention) - "Weird Al" Yankovic.

Weird Al first got notice on the Dr. Demento radio show in the mid-70s, but the first time I recall hearing of him was for his parody cover of The Knack's My Sharona - My Bologna -  in 1979.

He has never looked back.

He acquired band mates (starting with a guy who volunteered to bang on his accordion case) starting in the early 80s, and has parodied everyone from Queen to Robin Thicke.

He also loves polka medleys, Star Wars, and "style parodies" (where the target is an entire band or genre, such as Devo or country, rather than a specific song).

Only a few artists have refused to be parodied - Prince most famously.  Many artists, however, like Nirvana and Lady Gaga, have considered a parody from Weird Al a mark of having "made it" as an artist.

Some songs I know the Weird Al parody better than the original - certainly the case with Amish Paradise.

So here's to you, Weird Al.  I look forward to many more years of fun.