SusannaG - Confessions of a Crazy Cat Lady

Lady Cop Makes Trouble
Amy Stewart

Earworms: 2003

It is 2003.

The Station nightclub in Rhode Island burns down during a concert by Great White, killing 100 (including the band's guitarist) and injuring 160.  Martin Bashir interviews Michael Jackson - 53 million tune in in the US and UK, on ITV and ABC.  Michael Jackson is subsequently arrested for child molestation.  Phil Spector is arrested for the murder of one of his neighbors.  The Dixie Chicks set off a firestorm of controversy after their lead singer says "just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."  They are dropped from many country stations, and receive death threats.   Opening of the iTunes music store - they sell over a million songs, at 99 cents each, the first week.  The finalists on the second season of American Idol, winner Ruben Studdard and runner-up Clay Aiken, break the American phone networks - many are unable to connect in order to cast votes.  Paul McCartney plays Red Square.  Lollapalooza returns after a six-year break, with bands including Jane's Addiction, Incubus, and Queens of the Stone Age.  Toronto hosts a charity concert for SARS research, headlined by the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Rush, and the Guess Who - the largest concert in Canadian history.  Madonna kisses both Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera at the MTV Music Awards.  Mick Jagger is knighted, for "services to music."

Big Hits: In Da Club (50 Cent), Crazy in Love (Beyonce featuring Jay Z), Baby Boy (Beyonce featuring Sean Paul), Bump Bump Bump (B2K featuring P. Diddy), All I Have (Jennifer Lopez featuring LL Cool J), Get Busy (Sean Paul), 21 Questions (50 Cent featuring Nate Dogg), This is the Night (Clay Aiken), Shake Ya Tailfeather (Nelly, P. Diddy, and Murphy Lee), Stand Up (Ludacris featuring Shawna), Hey Ya (Outkast), Beautiful (Christina Aguilera), Landslide (Dixie Chicks), Flying Without Wings (Ruben Studdard), Miss Independent (Kelly Clarkson), and Milkshake (Kellis).