SusannaG - Confessions of a Crazy Cat Lady

Lady Cop Makes Trouble
Amy Stewart

Girl Waits with Gun

Girl Waits with Gun - Amy Stewart

Girl Waits with Gun looks at roughly a year in the life of the Capp sisters, Constance, Norma, and Fleurette, three "spinsters" of rural Bergen County, New Jersey.  Constance, 35, handles the heavy work of the farm (she is six feet tall and very strong); Norma, 31, is obsessed with carrier pigeons, who deliver newspaper headlines she's clipped (like "girl waits with gun," all actual headlines from this period); and Fleurette, 16, is, along with being resident seamstress, incorrigible and a would-be movie star.

In the summer of 1914, however, the Capp sisters have an encounter with a rich slimeball, a local silk factory owner, whose automobile slams into their horse-and-buggy, destroying it.  Replacing it would cost $50 dollars.

He refuses to pay, in favor of setting a gang of goons on them.  (Hey, it worked against the labor unions.)  Bricks through windows are followed by more dangerous threats, and Constance goes to the local sheriff.  But arresting him will not be so easy.

I enjoyed this thoroughly.  Though I originally had it pegged as a historical mystery, it really isn't; there is no mystery as to who the villain is.  It is, however, a good straight historical novel, with a main character, Constance, who is willing to do whatever it takes to defend her family, even if it takes breaking family rules, or, indeed, polite society's rules.

The Capp sisters were real, by the way.  Constance Capp would become one of the first female deputy sheriffs in the United States.