SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Just Back from a Day Trip

The Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy The Source - James A. Michener The King of Torts - John Grisham Three Hands in the Fountain - Lindsey Davis The Mammoth Hunters - Jean M. Auel Silent Witness - Richard North Patterson Promised Land - Robert B. Parker The Cat Who Saw Red - Lilian Jackson Braun The Rebels - John Jakes Legacy Of The Dead - Charles Todd

Today we took a day trip into the N.C. mountains, which is just over the border from us, about 45 minutes away, to Flat Rock.  (We also crept into Hendersonville, right next door, for one stop.)

On the way up to Flat Rock, we bought apples.  And apple butter.  And apple cider.  And sugar-free peach jam.  All from Sky Top Orchard - it was in the 40s and windy, on a mountain top, but very sunny, and they had lots of cool stuff.  As well as apples and preserves, they had pumpkins and other produce, and some baked goods.)

In Flat Rock itself, we stopped in at the Wrinkled Egg, which sells everything from clothes to toys, and greeting cards to everything for the teenaged horse-obsessed girl.  We also visited the jewelry store next door, Sweet Magnolia, which had some cool stuff.

Then we were off to Yarns to Dye For, in Hendersonville, where my mother saw a gorgeous white mohair shawl with sequins knit in, and asked if I could knit something like that.  I said I could, and we got the yarn - one ball of a fine white mohair, and a separate silver yarn with sequins in it; I'll double strand it, and knit it on big needles - US 15s (10 mm) if I can manage it (it calls for 17s, 12 mm), 13s (9 mm) if I can't.  (I know I can manage size 13s.  I've never knit successfully with 15s, but I haven't tried in a couple of years, so it's possible.)  It should be light and airy and sparkly, probably just garter in a very large needle/small yarn combination, and it will be for Christmas for a friend of ours who pretty much only wears black and white.

We then had lunch at Seasons, where I had a delicious Cuban sandwich, with zucchini fries.  The fries were a revelation; they were fantastic.  We're going to see if we can figure out what they did, and whether we can do it or not.  (We always have prolific zucchini in the summers.)

And then our last stop was a used bookstore, the Book Exchange, run by the local Ladies Aid group (founded 1880), where we bought about 25 books for 11 dollars.  Including one grab bag, which had quite a variety of things in it.  That'll be fun, for later.  (I've put some of them that I can remember here.)

And then we drove home, and collapsed!