SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries) - Charles Finch

A Beautiful Blue Death is the first Charles Lennox novel (I think there are about half a dozen or so volumes at this point).

In the cold London winter of 1865, Charles Lennox, whose principal hobbies are detecting crimes and the Emperor Hadrian, is asked to look into the death of a servant.  His oldest friend, Lady Jane Grey (yes, I groaned, too), also his next-door neighbor, had been her former employer, but the girl changed her work place to be closer to her young man.  And now she is dead, and they say it is suicide - a note was found, next to a bottle of poison.

Lennox, however, notices that there was no pen present, so how did she write the note?  And a friend he brings along, a retired doctor with chemical passions, observes that the the bottle of poison held yellow arsenic, but the poison that killed her was rare, expensive, and blue.

The writing was competent.  However, Queen Victoria was not "Queen Empress" in 1865, and would never have been referred to as such.  She was made Empress of India in 1876.

I should think, as well, that there were rather more differences in the classes and in their behavior with each other, than Charles Finch suggests here.  The butler, for example, is urged to take a nap by the fire in his employer's study.  Some readers this will bother more than others.

Also, the streets of London are described as deserted at midnight.

The streets of Victorian London were never "deserted" at any time at all, or for any reason.  (The Victorian City, by Judith Flanders, is great on the life of the city streets, and on the urban poor.)

The mystery was competently done, and I might read another book in the series.

(My copy courtesy of Net Galley/Minotaur Books/St. Martin's Press, much thanks.)