SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Earworms: 2009

It is 2009.

Death of Michael Jackson.  A memorial concert of his music is held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, featuring stars such as Mariah Carey, Stevie Wonder, Usher, Jennifer Hudson, and Lionel Richie.  At the 51st Grammy Awards, Adele wins Best New Artist.  Rihanna cancels a concert tour, claiming that she was assaulted by her boyfriend, Chris Brown.  Pete Seeger celebrates his 90th birthday at Madison Square Garden, with friends including Joan Baez, Roger McGuinn, Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews, and Eddie Vedder.  Phish go on a reunion tour.  Steven Tyler denies rumors he's quitting Aerosmith.  Justin Bieber, 14, releases his first album.

Big Hits: Poker Face (Lady Gaga), My Life Would Suck Without You (Kelly Clarkson), Just Dance (Lady Gaga featuring Colby O'Donis), Crack a Bottle (Eminem featuring Dr. Dre and 50 Cent), Right Round (Flo Rida), Boom Boom Pow (Black Eyed Peas), 3 (Britney Spears), I Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas), Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys), Fireflies (Owl City), Love Story (Taylor Swift), Heartless (Kanye West), I Told You So (Carrie Underwood featuring Randy Travis), Halo (Beyonce), Waking Up in Vegas (Katy Perry), You Belong With Me (Taylor Swift), He Could Be the One (Hannah Montana), and Party in the U.S.A. (Miley Cyrus).