SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

The Violinist's Thumb

The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code - Sam Kean

Sam Kean's The Violinist's Thumb is an exploration of the world of genetics, and all the strange places it takes you, from why humans, unlike other primates, have 46 and not 48 chromosomes, to why you shouldn't eat polar bear liver, and, yes, why a mutation in the thumb made Paganini the greatest violinist ever.

This book is a fun scientific tour of President Kennedy's "tan," why it's hard to retroactively diagnose historical figures with diseases, a Soviet biologist's attempt to breed humanzees, polar exploration, how to write an eulogy that's a scientific condemnation (Baron Cuvier didn't like Lamarck much), the saga of Einstein's brain, the unluckiest man of the 20th century, and as they said in the TV commercials I grew up with "much, much more!"

I gave this one a shot because I enjoyed Kean's The Disappearing Spoon, and I'm glad I did.