SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Chaucer and the Doctor of Physic

Chaucer and the Doctor of Physic - Philippa Morgan

Chaucer and the Doctor of Physic subtitles itself as "a medieval murder mystery."

Well, there is plenty of murder, but I cast serious doubt on the presence of the other two concepts.

The quality of the writing is adequate, but where are the adjectives, the color and spice, that would bring the medieval setting (specifically, 1373) to life?  It's all very bland.

Also, Chaucer doesn't do a great ton of solving mysteries (one of his companions does more - but he's not a poet still world-famous after being dead 600 years).

In addition, the narrative structure is curious.  A lot of it is narrated by Chaucer.  But some of it is narrated by others in the story, and then there's the parts, unusual for a mystery novel, where an omniscient narrator takes over.  And many of the characters are very flat.

That said, I did like the fact that Chaucer, racking his brains for a bedtime story, came up with the tale of Chanticleer.