SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Loss of Innocence

Loss of Innocence - Richard North Patterson

Unlike most of Richard North Patterson's books, this one is not a murder mystery.  (He writes good murder mysteries, by the way.)

It's a coming of age story.

In 1968, a sheltered young woman from one of New England's upper crust families, Whitney Dane, discovers that her "perfect family" of financier father, socialite mother, model sister, handsome fiance, and her perky best friend - is a structure built on deceit (self and otherwise) and manipulation.

The setting is mostly on Martha's Vinyard (with occasional side trips, mostly to New York), and the background is America tearing itself apart.  Bobby Kennedy, deceased, is nearly a character in his own right.  And the draft is a looming presence in the life of every young man.

I believe this is the second volume in a trilogy, but I had no idea of that when I picked it up, and it is a complete and functional novel on its own.