SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %
Cosmic Quest Cd (Bbc Audio)
Heather Couper
Firedrake's Eye
Patricia Finney
Progress: 15/249 pages

Legacy

Legacy - Susan Kay

Legacy is a historical novel about Elizabeth I (covering the period from the meeting of her parents, Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, through her death over 70 years later), with some paranormal overtones.

The direction of the story line is hardly a surprise to me (I have been addicted to the Tudors since the early 1970s, and my favorite screen Elizabeth is still Glenda Jackson), but it's always interesting to me to see how the author chooses to execute the tale.  With Elizabeth's story, I am always interested to see how her relationship with Thomas Seymour is presented, and also the case of the death of Amy Robsart.

Never a dull moment, unlike some more recent novels about the Tudors, which can manage to make Henry VIII boring.  Which I hadn't thought possible, and then I read Carolly Erickson's The Last Wife of Henry VIII, which put me to sleep.  But I digress.

It's a pity Susan Kay stopped writing (and as far as I know she is still living), because this is an example of the huge fat historical novel that made a superior beach read, and was so much more common in 1983, when it came out, than such books are now, alas.