SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %
Cosmic Quest Cd (Bbc Audio)
Heather Couper
Firedrake's Eye
Patricia Finney
Progress: 15/249 pages

Practical Magic

Practical Magic - Alice Hoffman

I saw the film of Practical Magic, which was made, I think, in 1998, years ago, and it's a fun movie.  It is, however, rather different from the novel, and I can see why.

Both the title and set-up are solid movie material (there are witches among us, and one of them has a very nasty ex-boyfriend, who causes trouble from the grave, is what Hollywood concentrated on - concepts ripe for film storytelling, particularly when you cast Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman) but the novel itself is very different.  It is dreamy, mystical, fluid, sometimes languid, with more magical realism than straight-out "magic."

The book works well as a book, and the movie is a fun picture, and I'd recommend either to anyone in the right mood.